and castle of Bannachra lie at the southern end of the Parish of Luss,
they were originally part of the ancient kingdom of the Lennox. It
is unknown who built the castle or when it was built, but it was in Colquhoun
hands in the 16th century and remained so until 1770 when it was sold to
James Donaldson of Glasgow..
The Castle is in roughly the shape
of a parallelogram, being approximately 46 feet long and 24 feet wide.
The building was three stories high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main
or hall floor and an attic floor.
Bannachra Castle is currently
owned by Mr. Hamish Lumsden, whose family has owned the lands on which
the castle is since the 19th century when it came into the possession of
Sir. James Lumsden.
The castle overlooks Glen Fruin
and the views over the Glen and across Loch Lomond are spectacular.
The castle, which is reputed to
be on the site of a former construction, was probably build in the
16th century. It would be better described as a Hall-house, the walls
quite thin. The windows carry narrow plain chamfers on the external
jams, and there are indications that shot-holes existed under some of them
at first floor level.
The badly broken corners on the
north gable indicate that they probably carried corner turrents projected
on corbels. It is thought the south east corner may have had a similar
The Castle is a category B listed
building and of historical interest. With the help of Historic Scotland,
the preservation of the Castle remains is being put in hand.