of Brice Kilpatrick
The following information was provided by
Walter John Kiger
|The Kilpatrick Family
Written by A.J. Kilpatrick
(Grandson of Brice Kilpatrick)
Written after March 22, 1917
Elma O. Kilpatrick
Note: Pages 1 through 3 are missing.
Of said Township of Benton County of Paulding, State of Ohio.
2. Andrew Kilpatrick was the second son of William and Esther Kilpatrick. He was born in February, A.D., 1824 in Pike County, Ohio. He died in infancy in the above county and state.
3. Benjamin F. Kilpatrick was the third son of William and Esther (Mead)
Kilpatrick. He was born March 26, A.D., 1825 in Pike County, Ohio. He was
married twice in Paulding County, Ohio. His first wife was Nancy (Anderson)
Kilpatrick by whom he had eight children, three boys and five girls.
4. Peter M. Kilpatrick was the fourth son of William and Esther (Mead) Kilpatrick. He was born June 23, A.D., 1826 and died in his infant state.
5. Laura A. Kilpatrick was the first daughter of William and Esther (Mead) Kilpatrick and was born November 26, A.D., 1827. She married John Kigar and raised a large family of children and died January 27, A.D., 1891.
6. Rebecca O. Kilpatrick was the second daughter of William and Esther (Mead) Kilpatrick. She was born July 20, A.D., 1829 and died; May 4, A.D., 1848 with pneumonia which was brought on by the measles settling on her lungs. She was about eighteen years old when she died.
7.Susannah Kilpatrick was the fourth (third?)daughter of William and
Esther (Mead) Kilpatrick. She was born March 29, A.D., 1831 and died
May, A.D., 1850 with what is now called tuberculosis. She was about nineteen
years old when she died.
Pages 5 through 8 are missing.
Benjamin F. Kilpatrick’s Family
1. Isaac Newton Kilpatrick was the first son of Benjamin F., and Nancy (Anderson) Kilpatrick. He was born in Paulding County, Ohio. He is married and lives in Continental, Putnam County, Ohio. He is a mechanic.
2. Benjamin F. Kilpatrick, Jr. Was the second son of Benjamin F., and Nancy (Anderson) Kilpatrick. He was born in Paulding county, Oho. He went to Kansas and was married. Then he moved to Oklahomas where he yet lives. He was a carpenter and a blacksmith. He now lives at Supply, Oklahoma.
3. Cyrus Milton Kilpatrick was the third son of Benjamin F., and Nancy
Kilpatrick. He is living yet but never married.
Laura A. (Kilpatrick) Kigar’s family
1. Sarah J. Kigar was John and Laura A. (Kilpatrick) Kigar’s first daughter. She married Henry Anglemyer. They moved to Colorado where she died with Bright’s (kidney) disease.
2. Mary Esther Kigar ws John and Laura A. Kigar’s second daughter. She married Henry Hurd. They have their home in Northwestern Ohio. (Henry County, Ohio, I think.)
3. William H. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s first son. He married Mary Fieldmire. He now lives in Fulton County, Ohio. They have two daughters. They are both married.
4. George W. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s second son. He married
Mary Thompson and to this union seven children were born. Three girls and
four boys. All of these children lived and are
5. Katharine E. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s third daughter. She married Wilson Fauver. During their marriage relation, their home was in Ohio.
6. Nancy M. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s fourth daughter she married Barney E. Warren. They have had their home in Springfield Ohio for many years.
7. John W. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s third son. He married Lucy Thompson who was a sister to his brother George’s wife.
8. Bennett F. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s fourth son. He died in infancy.
9. Stephen A. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s fifth son. He died in infancy.
10. Elias J. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s sixth son. He married Hattie Smith. They live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
11. Albert L. Kigar was John and Laura A. Kigar’s seventh son. He married Ella Rhinearson. They also live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Joseph Warren Kilpatrick’s Family
1. Mary Kilpatrick was the first daughter of Joseph W., and Emily (Anderson) Kilpatrick. She was born in Paulding County, Ohio. She married twice. Her first husband was Robert Fredrick by whom she had children. Her second husband was Aaron Wood by whom whe had children.
2. Anna Kilpatrick was Joseph and Emily Kilpatrick’s second daughter. She was married to William Rheiley by whom she had children, one of which drowned in a well. They now live in Arkansas.
Kigar Family History
John Kigar and Laura Ann Kilpatrick Kigar 1800 - 1945
Pg 1. Brice Kilpatrick, at the age of 12 years, left his widowed mother in Belfast Ireland and came to America with a wealthy family by the name of McBurney, under the indenture agreement to work off the cost of his passage. Probable date of birth, 1763.
His son, William, was born in Stuben Co., New York on 14 September,
1798. William married Esther Meade on 16 October, 1821 in Scioto
Co., Ohio. Esther was born in Orange Co., New York in July, 1800. She died
1 May, 1875.
William and Esther (Mead) Kilpatrick had nine (9) children, William Harrison, Andrew, Benjamine, Peter, John, Joe, Alexander Jackson, Laura Ann (Married John Kigar, son of John Kigar), Elisa (married Abe Dick).
Pg. 2 Kigar, #1000, John Joseph Kigar married Mary Esther Thompson and were the parents of Sam, Elias, Bill, Joe, George, John and Bennett. Kigar, #1001, Sam Kigar was the father of Emma, Mary Ellen, Frank, Ada, Jennette, Hattie, Heiman (Herman), Henry, Flora and Alice. Kigar, #1002, Elias Kigar was the father of Arlie and Alta. He served Co. A 78th Ohio Vol, Inf. Enlisted 10/28/1861. Made Sgt. 12/24/64 and mustered out 7/10/1865. Kigar, #1003, Bill. Kigar #1004, Joe Kigar was the father of Sam, Andy, Mandy, Bill and Mary Jane Koontz. Kigar #1005, George Kigar was a bachlor. Kigar #1006, John Jr., Kigar married Laura Kilpatrick. Kigar #1007, Bennett Kigar was the father of George, Bennett, Jr. and Cyrus, he lived in Liberty Twp, Henry Co., Ohio.
Pg 3. John Kigar, son of John Kigar married Laura Kilpatrick and to them was born twelve (12) children, Sarah Jane in 1848, Mary Esther Hurd born____, William Henry born ____, George Washington born 1854, Katherine Elizabeth Fauver born____, Nancy Melissa Warren, born 1858, Stephen A. Douglas died in infancy, Bennett Franklin died in infancy, John Wesley born 1860, Elias Jasper born 66, Albert born____, Lillie or Nellie died in infancy. John Kigar, Jr., #1006, enlisted in Co. B, 184th Reg., Ohio Vol., on 1/1/1865 at Nepoleon, Ohio and was mustered out 9/20, 1865 at Nashville, Tenn. Not to be confused with John Kigar who enlisted in Co., Am 78th Ohioi Vol., Inf on 10/17/1861 and was made Corp., 12/24/1864 and was mustered out 7/10/1865, who was not of our connection.
Pg 4. Kigar 1006-1, Sarah Jane Kigar, born in 1848, m. Henry Anglemeyer.
Pg 9 Kigar, 1006-2, Mary Esther Kigar, b. 1850,d-_______
m. Henry Hurd
Pg 9 They lived at Florida, Ohio in Henry Co., they had 11 children Della 1006-2-2, Hetty 1006- 2-3, Laura 1006-2-4, Will 1006-2-5, Edith 1006-2-3, Lou 1006-2-7, Albert 1006-2-8, Helen 1006-2-9, Howard 1006-2-10 (died WWI), Fanny 1006-2-11.
Page 13 Laura Hurd 1006-2-4 m. Biddle Burns (1) & Rube Rigal (2) she had 2 children; Cyril Burns and Mary Burns.
Page 15 Edith Hurd m. _________ Shorpe, address P.O. Box 26 Liberty Center, Ohio.
Page 17 Albert Hurd lived at Antwerp, Ohio.
Page 18 Hellen Hurd m. Floyd Herkimer and lived in Nepoleon, Ohio.
Page 20 William Henry Kigar, #1006-3 b.______d.________m.________to Mary Fieldmyer b____ d. 2/6/____ children, Gladys and Laura.
Page 22 Laura Fieldmyer Kigar m. Frank Spencer and was living in Morenci, Mich.
Page 23 George Washington Kigar 1006-4, b. 7/14/1855 d. 7/3/1934 m. Mary Jane Thompson 5/15/1880. She was b. 7/28/1856 d. 2/16/1941. 11 children were born; Bertha Lucinda b. 8/24/1881; Bessie Bell b. 10/12/____; Harry William b. 3/4/1886; Mary Olive b. 1/8/1888; Clair Melvin b. 6/16/1890; Charley Clayton b. 2/14/____; Leslie George b. 10/16/____. George W. Kigar at nearly 80 years of age was living near flatrock creek, five miles SW of Paulding, Ohio. Because of failing health and difficulty in taking care of him, he was taken to State Hospital in Toledo by Dep. Sheriff Kinkade as reported by Paulding Republican.
Page 24 Bertha Lucinda Kigar 1006-4-1, b. 8/24/1881 SW of Payne, Ohio on Flatrock road. Later moved to NW of Payne. Went to the Pio School. Taught school at Tipton, Ohio. M. William Marion Martin, b. ______ Louisville Ky. At Tipton, Ohio they had 10 children; Mary Leila, Marion Pauline, Bertha Enid, Bessie Olive, William Kigar Martin b. 10/24/1912 d. 1/16/1919, Albert Ralph, Floyd Orville, George Virgil, Vivian Lou. Paul Leslie.
Page 25 Mary Leila Martin #1006-4-1-1, b 8/24/1903 at Payne, Ohio, m 9/22/1926 to Myrle Vivian Cross, b. ______they had 3 children; Myrle Vivian, Jr. b. 7/5/1927 at Philadelphia, Pa., Patricia Martin b. 10/24/1930 at Modesto, Calif., Sharon Kathleen b. 1/24/1937 at Kansas City, Mo. Mary Lila Martin now living in Hollywood, Fla.
Page 29 Marion Pauline Martin #1006-4-4-2. B/ 9/22/1906 at Plumfield, Ill., d. 10/21/46, m. W.R. Duft 11/21/1928 at Wauwatosa, Wisc. Who was b. 10/18/1904, d. 5/6/1944 they had one child Marian Pauline b. 3/27/1932.
Page 30 Marian Pauline Martin Duft #1006-4-1-2-1, b. 3/27/1932
in Chicago, Ill. Living in Poneto, Ind.
Page 31 Bertha Enid Martin #1006-4-1-3, b. 6/20/1908, m. M1. Louis Steppenbrink 4/6/1926, one child Dorothy Clair b. 3/29/1927 at Milwaukee, Wisc. Divorced June 1930. M2 M. Eugene Wise who was b. 1904 at Bunconlee, Ill. M3 A.C. Shelby living at Box 154, Gatlinburg, Tenn. 37738.
Page 33 Bessie Olive Martin #1006-4-1-4 b. 12/3/____, M1 _______Oswalt________, M2, R. Dale Kigar ______, Lived in Poneto, Ind, and currently in Bluffton, Ind. @515 E. Spring St., Apt #1, 46714.
Page 34 William Kigar Martin #1006-4-1-5, b. 2/21/1912, d. 1/16/1919.
Page 35 Albert Ralph Martin #1006-4-1-6, b. 2/21/1915, m Evelyn Hayes, d. 9/27/____. Had one child, David served WW I, #36977867, PFC, Co. A., 399 Inf., West Frankfort, Ill. Married in 1926.
Page 36 David Martin #1006-4-1-6-1, b.__________.
Page 37 Floyd Orville Martin #1006-4-1-7, b. 11/12/1917, m. 8/?/1927 to Elizabeth Ann Allison b. 21/12/1919. Children Jack William b. 8/31/1934, Donald Allison b. 9/16/1935 and Jimmie Herman b. 6/18/1938. Served in WWII, lives in West Frankfort, Ill.
Page 41 George Virgil Martin #1006-4-1-8, b. 6/22/1920, d. 7/5/1921 at Payne, Ohio, while visiting with his grandparents, Mr and Mrs Geo. Kigar.
Page 42 Vivian Lou Martin #1006-4-1-9, b. 7/15/1922, m. Jerry Reuter lives in Hollywood Calif.
Page 43 Paul Leslie Martin #1006-4-1-10, b. 11/24/1924.
Page 44 Bessie Bell Kigar #1006-4-2
Page 45 Harry William Kigar #1006-4-3, b. 3/4/1886, m. 5/9/1908 to Grace Underwood b. 8/28/1888. Their children Donald Noble, Madonna Margrette, Harold Leslie, Rollin George and Ruth Alsine. Lived at Gladwin, Mich.
Page 46 Donald Nobele Kigar #1006-4-3-1, b. 2/23/1910, m. 12/24/1931 to Ethel McMahan, their children; Donna Lee, Willard Don and ____________.
Page 47 Donna Lee Kigar #1006-4-3-1-1, b. 1933 in Gladwin, Mich.
Page 48 Willard Don Kigar #1006-4-3-1-2, b. 1936.
Page 49 Harold Leslie Kigar #1006-4-3-2, b. 3/1/1911, m. 1936 to Lucille Haldey John.
Page 50 Madonna Margrette Kigar #1006-4-3-3, b. 6/5/1914.
Page 51 Rollin George Kigar #1006-4-3-4, b. 9/5/1918, served WWII.
Page 52 Ruth Alaine Kigar #1006-4-3-5, b. 9/?/1920
Page 53 Mary Olive Kigar #1006-4-4, b. 1/8/1888, M1 8/12/1905 to Jake E. Sheefel b. 10/21/1883, d._______. M2 ______Welling. Their children Beulah Clarice, James Dorris, Ruth Naomi, Roma Cathryn, Clee Jeanette, Evelyn Marjorie and Dale Jene. Still living in Anderson, Ind.
Page 54 Beulah Clarice Sheefel #1006-4-4-1, b. 8/22/1906, m. 4/5/1931 to Charles Loren Turner b. 8/17/____. One child, Melvin Loren, diovorced January 1936 at Peru Ind. Moved to Anderson, Ind with folks 11/28/36.
George Kigar (Kiger, Kyger, Keiger, etc.)
1 George Kigar
Catherine (or Margaret) Beeler (Note 1)
1-1 Mary Kigar (1760?) Married George, Barney or Frederick Free
1-9 John Kigar Born 1785-87, Berkeley Co., Va.
1-9-1 Bennett Kigar May 30, 1811, Berkeley Co., Virginia
The marriage of John and Mary (Thompson) Kiger is recorded in
Berkeley County, West Virginia marriage book no. 3, page 155 under the
names John Kyger and Mary Thompson, witnessed by John T. Strother.
The John and Mary (Thompson) Kigar family can be found in the following
The John Kiger family moved to Fairfield County, Ohio during the winter of 1831-32.
1-9-6 John Kigar Born______1820/24, Ridgeville, Henry County, Ohio. Buried near Independence Dam on Ridge Road, three mile down river from Defiance Ohio. Married Feb 27, 1847, Putnam County, Ohio, by Moses Predmore.
Laura Ann Kilpatrick Born Nov 16, 1827, Pike
1-9-6-1 Sarah Jane Kigar Jan 26, 1848, married Henry Anglemeyer-Jones
The marriage of John and Laura Ann Kilpatrick-Kigar is of record in Putnam County, Ohio record of marriages Vol A., page 87 although her name is incorrectly listed as “Lucy Ann Kilnstrick.”
John Kigar was a private in Company B, 184th Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He inlisted at Napoleon, Ohio January 21, 1865, and he mustered out with his company at Nashville, Tennessee, on Sept 20, 1865. His brother Samuel G., and Willard served in the same outfit for the same period. His brothers Elias and Joseph, also served in the civil war but in other regiments. John Kigar had the lime fever while at Camp Chase while in service there and afterwards died from the effect of the same. His widow Laura received a Civil war widow’s pension of twelve dollars per month. Her pension certificate number was 267226. The civil war records and documents of John Kigar are on record at the National Archives, file number WC 267226.
John and Laura (Kilpatrick) Kigar spent most of their married life in Henry County, Ohio. However their second child was born in Indiana according to 1860 federal census. After the death of John the Kigar and Kilpatrick families helped Laura raise her children. Elias J. Kiger, spoke of spending much time with his uncle Samuel G. Kigar, and in the home of his grandmother “Granny Mary Ester Kigar,” and his bachelor uncle George Kigar.
Sometime after the death of John, Laura’s brother the Rev. Alexander J. Kilpatrick, brought her to his home in Benton Township, Paulding County, Ohio. Ohio 1880 census for Paulding County lists the home of Alexander J. Kilpatrick and living with him are Laura-Kigar, Elias Kigar, Albert Kigar and the father of A.J. Kilpatrick and Laura A. Kigar, Albert Kigar and the father of A.J. Kilpatrick had a house built for his sister Laura, near the old “fountian of sulfur” in Payne, Ohio. The building of the house was done by William Linnenus, Kilpatrick nephew, and by John W. Kigar, her son. Possession of Vivian-Lou (Martin) Reuter, 1-9-6-4-1-9,and was given 10/18/83 to her by R. Dale Kigar, 1-9-6-11-2
1-9-6-4 George Washington Kigar Born July 4th 1854, Henry
Mary Jane Thompson Born July 28th, 1858, Ridgeville, Henry Co., Ohio
1-9-6-4-1 Bertha Lucinda Kigar Born August 24th 1881, died Jan
Children of Bertha Lucinda Kigar and William M. Martin
1-9-6-4-1-1 Mary Leila Born August 24th 1903, still
living as of Jan 1979
|[Back to Family Lineage Page]|